Thursday, April 28, 2011

Who would have believed it?

I noticed something interesting this last week as I was studying for the resurrection sermon. I had never paid any attention to the time delay between Mary's encounter with the risen Christ and His appearance before the cowering group of disciples.

The first verse of John chapter 20 reads, “Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance”. That certainly fits with our ideas of a sunrise resurrection. However, here is where I made my small discovery. In verse 19 we skip to a much later hour, “On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you!”

Very early in the morning, Mary has a wonderful encounter with Jesus and goes back to tell the disciples. Ten to twelve hours later they are sitting together in a locked room fearing for their lives. Did anyone believe her story? Did anyone actually believe that she had seen the risen Lord or did they discount her story as the result of severe and prolonged grief-ridden trauma on an already over-emotional lady? After all, she was the same lady who poured out a whole year’s salary on Jesus’ feet.

I wonder what the disciples talked about all day. Did they debate the scriptures? Did someone create a biblical defense for a crucified and resurrected messiah? Or did they simply contemplate the different methods of possibly leaving town without suffering the same fate as Jesus?

I wonder why Jesus chose to make them wait. More importantly, I wonder why He makes me wait. How do the uncomfortable moments of waiting and wondering, worried and distressed, contribute to my growth and my ability to continue to trust the Savior?

I am sure that we have all felt this type of intensely agonizing doubt. We all must learn to embrace the reality that the rewards of His revelation (in His time) bring great joy.

“After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord”. John 20:20

No comments: